RLQ Tourist Membership
Rural Libraries Queensland (RLQ) is a collaboration between local governments and the State Library of Queensland to provide high quality public library services across rural Queensland.
Use this media release template (DOC 31.5 KB) to promote the RLQ Tourist card. It can be easily edited and modified according to local needs. Pull-up banners are also available for promotional purposes. (Contact SLQ Public Library Development to arrange delivery.) A quick guide (PDF 1.55 MB) to using the RLQ library online for tourist card users is also available.
Joining & Borrowing
RLQ tourist membership is free to anyone who is travelling within regional and outback Queensland.
Travellers may join the library service online and an RLQ Tourist Card will be mailed to the applicants home address or PO box within 5 working days.
Alternatively, travellers may join in person at any branch of the RLQ by providing proof of residential address and agreeing to RLQ's terms and conditions. Children under 18 years must be joined by a parent or guardian who must show proof of current address.
Borrowing and returning
All new members receive a library card. The library card enables members to borrow books and items from all RLQ libraries. Library cards must be shown each time an item is borrowed.
Members can borrow up to 4 items at a time for four weeks (28 days).
Limits apply to some collections (e.g. magazines and DVDs). Library staff may request a limit on the number of items on a single topic to ensure equity of access for all library members.
Items can be renewed once, as long as the item has not been reserved by another patron. Members can renew their items through the online library catalogue or in person at any of our library locations.
Library items can be returned to any library branch regardless of where they were borrowed. Most libraries have after hours access chutes which can be used by members 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
By logging into the online catalogue, members are able to
- Renew library items
- View current loans and loans history
- View or change personal details
- Add own reviews
- Access downloadable eresources through eReading (ebooks and magazines), eListening (music and eaudiobooks) and eLearning (online courses and self-paced tutorials)
Members must comply with State Library of Queensland's Comments Policy
Membership to RLQ libraries is free. Some additional services may attract fees at some libraries.
Customers will be charged for lost or damaged library items. Any other charges will be at the discretion of library staff, in accordance with their local Council by-laws.
Members are notified by email when an item is overdue. The onus is on the customer to ensure their items are returned on time.
Inter-library loans will not be available for travelling members of RLQ. This service is provided by the tourists home library.
How to renew or update your membership
RLQ membership is valid for six months. To notify us about lost cards, make a change in contact details or apply for membership renewal, complete this online form.
Proof of identification
To apply for an RLQ membership card onsite, or to verify your online membership, you must show:
- photographic ID
- ID confirming your residential address
Suggested forms of photographic ID:
- Australian drivers licence with photo
- Australian or foreign passport (current or expired less than two years)
- Queensland 18+ card (issued after 1 January 1992)
- Australian Defence force photo ID card
- Public Service employee photo ID card
- Australian issued security guard/crowd controller licence
- Australian issued firearm licence
- Educational institution student identity document (eg. university, TAFE, secondary school)
Suggested forms of ID confirming your address (if not on photo ID):
- Electricity, gas or telephone account
- Australian Taxation Office assessment (last or current year)
- Australian Taxation Office tax file number confirmation (valid up to two years from date of issue)
- Contract of purchase, current lease or rental document, mortgage or land ownership certificate
- Local government rates notice
- Motor vehicle registration certificate
- Vehicle registration renewal notice for coming period
- Statement from an educational institution's administrator (for overseas students), which must include student’s residential address.
- Bank statement
- Statutory declaration
- Fax + 61 3842 9033
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org