This manual has been produced for staff of Rural Libraries Queensland (RLQ) participating libraries who use the resources and lending services provided by SLQ Public Library Development. It provides a range of information on how to operate a small public library.
The manual should be used in conjunction with the information and resources for public libraries provided elsewhere on the Public Libraries Connect website.( http://plconnect.slq.qld.gov.au/services/rural-libraries-queensland) .
Rural Libraries Queensland (RLQ)
Regional councils with populations under 15,000 are eligible to join RLQ. These libraries are operated by the local regional council, subject to the terms of the Service Level Agreement entered into with the Library Board of Queensland. SLQ provides an alternative to the cash grant given to independent local governments. Library stock and limited cash subsidies on approved miscellaneous expenditure are provided in lieu of the per capita grant. RLQ libraries range from remote single branch services such as Boulia and Thursday Island to larger multi branch services such as Goondiwindi, Barcaldine and Mossman.
SLQ policies and agreements
SLQ is based in Brisbane and serves the information and recreational needs of the whole state. SLQ Public Library Development is a section of the State Library.
- Guidelines and standards for Queensland public libraries State Library coordinates the periodic review and development of standards and guidelines designed to assist Queensland public library staff and local governments in the planning and development of their library services.
- Statistical bulletins Data available from 2005 provides state-wide benchmarking across key indicators for public libraries in Queensland.
- Policies, standards and protocols Documents to assist public library staff in the day to day running of their library from developing strategic plans to managing volunteers.
- A Protocol establishing roles and responsibilities of the Queensland Government and Local Government in respect of the provision and management of public libraries
A Protocol made 5 December, 1997 between the State of Queensland and the Local Government Association of Queensland (Incorporated)
- Additional policies and guidelines for Australian Public Libraries can be accessed via the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) website.