4. Special collections
This loan procedures manual has been produced for Queensland independent public library staff using the resources provided at State Library.
Table of contents:
SLQ Public Library Development maintains several collections for the use of all public libraries in Queensland.
- Marc records for borrowed items can be emailed to libraries where loans have been arranged. Contact SLQ Public Library Development for details.
- To ensure there are always materials available to your customers, request your next loan before the current loan period expires.
- Items from these special collections cannot be renewed. You will be notified by email when items are due for return to PLD.
The LOTE collection is designed to meet the needs of those who wish to read a language other than English. This includes those who have a first language other than English, multilingual people seeking to maintain fluency in a number of languages, and those who have learnt a language other than English and wish to maintain and improve literacy in the language.
The collection consists of over 50,000 books in over 50 languages (PDF 520.1 KB). A small quantity of large print, audio books, music CDs and DVDs are held in a few languages.
4.1.1 Request procedure
- Loans are available on request
- The loan period is 12 months
- The library is not required to return a current loan before receiving the next one
- Requests for the LOTE collection can be lodged using the online forms.
The adult literacy collection contains resources for anyone wanting to improve their English literacy and numeracy. The collection is suitable for English speakers and for learners of English as a second language. There is also material to support tutor training.
The collection includes:
- workbooks for students on grammar, spelling, comprehension
- teaching theory and practise books
- audio book kits including English as a Second Language programs/courses
- resources for numeracy
4.2.1 Request procedure
- Loans are available on request.
- The loan period is 12 months.
- The library is not required to return a current loan before receiving the next one.
- Requests for the Adult Literacy collection can be lodged using the online forms.
- Include as much information as possible to ensure the selection sent is suitable. The online form has a number of questions which indicate the information required - whether the material is needed by a student or tutor, whether workbooks or readers are required.
The audio book collection includes Open Access and Restricted Access titles. Restricted access titles have been produced for use only by those who have a print disability.
Print disability is defined as:
- Blindness or vision impairment
- Physical disabilities which limit capacity to hold or manipulate print material.
- Perceptual disabilities which limit ability to follow a line of print
- Insufficient English literacy or language skills
Customers are considered self-disclosing so there is no requirement to obtain a formal declaration of disability from a doctor or other designated person.
4.3.1 Request procedure
- Loans are available for a period of 12 months.
- Requests for audio books can be lodged using the online forms.
- Items cannot be renewed.