Languages other than English (LOTE)
The LOTE (languages other than English) collection has over 70,000 items in 50 languages (PDF 116 KB). Each collection has fiction and non fiction for adults and young people. Other formats including large print books, audio books, DVDs and music CDs are also available in some languages. To find out if your language is available refer to the languages list above.
The LOTE collection is held in storage and is designed for those who wish to read in a language other than English. This includes those who speak a language other than English, multilingual speakers seeking to maintain fluency in a language other than English and English speakers who wish to learn another language.
Material from the collection is sent in bulk by request (see Bulk loan procedures) to public libraries throughout Queensland. Public library staff in Queensland can use the online form to request a bulk loan.
Members of the public wishing to borrow LOTE items should contact their local public library for this free service. Find your local public library by searching the Directory. You can also identify libraries with internet access.
- Adult literacy resources The SLQ adult literacy collection has resources for improving literacy and learning English as a second language. The resources are suitable for students and literacy tutors. Complete this form to order items via your local Queensland public libraries.
- RLQ catalogue
- Searching the catalogue for LOTE (PDF 666.9 KB) and Searching the catalogue for LOTE (DOCX 3.1 MB) Tips on how to find your language in the catalogue.
- LOTE genre checklist (PDF 115.8 KB) To help library members identify LOTE collection genre stickers.
- Queensland Regional Profiles Statistics on languages spoken in your community.
- Queensland Regional Profiles how-to (PDF 1008.0 KB) or Queensland Regional Profiles how-to (DOCX 7.7 MB). How to use the Queensland Regional Profiles.