First 5 Forever (formerly Best Start) is a universal family literacy program aimed at creating stronger language and literacy environments for 0-5 year old children before they start kindergarten and school.
First 5 Forever directly supports parents and primary caregivers to be confident as their child’s first and most important teacher, and will provide increased access to resources they need through public libraries.
SLQ Public Library Development collection contains support resources for Queensland public library staff about family literacy for learners, teachers and tutors.
The collection includes:
- teaching theory and practice books and videos
- taped book kits
- graded readers and structured language materials for young people learning to read.
To borrow literacy resources, use the adult literacy material - bulk loan request online form.
Libraries for literacy - every day, every way is a framework for the development of responsive literacy services to be delivered by State Library, partnering with Queensland public libraries.
The Expanding Horizons Family Literacy forum
State Library hosted the Expanding Horizons Family Literacy Forum in 2012 to showcase the Public Library Family Literacy initiatives that were funded through the 2010-2011 Expanding Horizons grants. Through the presentations, participants examined concepts such as libraries as learning spaces, the potential of community engagement, and project content and creation.
View keynote speaker Margaret James’s presentation on our YouTube channel.
Presentation notes from contributing libraries:
- Literate communities are empowered communities – Burdekin Shire Council – joint project with Mackay, Townsville, Whitsunday, Charters Towers and Hinchinbrook local governments
- Reach for Reading (Literacy in Foster Care) - Fraser Coast Regional Council
- Lead-A-Reader – Lockyer Valley Regional Council
- Reading with my Father – Tablelands Regional Council
- TransLiteracy Community Connections: TLC2 - Logan City Council
- You+Me = Reading Families – Sunshine Coast Regional Council
If you would like more information on The Expanding Horizons Family Literacy Forum, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on adult literacy resources for public libraries please visit the Adult Literacy page.