Conditions of use
State Library of Queensland uses Lyris software to manage and host forums/mailing and announcement lists. Each forum/list must meet the following criteria:
- facilitate information exchange and foster collaboration, professional communication and development within the Queensland library community, the State Government and approved Queensland community groups
- focus on list topics
- cover topics not covered in existing mailing lists.
Each mailing list/forum hosted by State Library is administered (owned) by a State Library staff member, a public library staff member or by approved applicants. The service is provided on the understanding that:
- members and list owners comply with the conditions of use
- State Library staff can disable or delete a mailing list if its continued operation threatens Internet service availability or if it is in conflict with the conditions of use.
The conditions of use apply to a person who:
- applies to join or is a member of a State Library of Queensland mailing list
- applies to establish or is a list owner of a State Library of Queensland mailing list.
- Comply with the conditions of use
- Provide a succinct, relevant subject for each message.
- Keep messages brief and relevant.
- Send messages in plain text.
- Respect the opinion of others.
- Always provide a signature with postings
- Include a disclaimer, if appropriate.
- Do not send messages that
- are defamatory
- infringe copyright
- spam (send multiple similar email messages, including persistent messages on topics unrelated to the purpose of the list)
- are pornographic or degrading or in any way breach criminal law
- are threatening, abusive or harassing
- contain viruses or destructive programs
- are chain letters
Advertisements are not appropriate. However, a simple statement that offers a way to follow-up for more information on a service or product is acceptable if it accompanies a substantive message discussing a subject appropriate to the list. Announcements of conferences, workshops, new publications, and position openings appropriate to the topic of the list are welcome. If in doubt, please contact your list administrator prior to posting to the list.
State Library of Queensland strongly recommends the use of website links as opposed to the use of attachments. If attachments must be used they must be limited to 300-500 kb.
Take every precaution to avoid sending viruses via messages sent to mailing lists. State Library of Queensland takes no responsibility for loss or damage caused by viruses transmitted in email received from a hosted mailing list.
State Library of Queensland will close a mailing list if its continued operation threatens internet service availability or if it is in conflict with the conditions of use.
Lists will be monitored for usage. When lists have very low levels of traffic, the list owner will be consulted and the list may be shut down if unused.
Archives of list/forum messages will potentially be retained indefinitely. State Library of Queensland Information and Communications Technology (ICT) staff will monitor performance and storage capacity of Lyris lists and will advise of any potential change to archive limits.